Thursday, October 27, 2005

Welcome + Purpose



Welcome!

For the past several years, I have taken classes from The Potter's School, an excellent Christian online school. This year, I am privileged to be taking Works of C.S. Lewis from Dr. Sharon Bridwell.

While the class involves intensive writing assignments, oftentimes there are thoughts or things that I would like to discuss about the books we are reading that simply cannot be discussed in class or in the assignments due to time constraints.

I hope to use this blog to publish thoughts on Lewis and his writings, specifically Surprised by Joy, Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, and Till We Have Faces. For the purposes of clarity, I will use the the abbreviations SJ, MC, SL, GD, and TWHF in the subject lines of my posts to show which book inspired the thoughts.

The title "In the Great Sculptor's Schop" came from a quote in Mere Christianity. Lewis says
"And that is precisely what Christianity is about. This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour [sic] going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life."